Your rental management solution and your accounts package are two of the most important parts of software for running your business. Use the import and export tools on our QuickBooks Online (QBO) integration screen to maintain customer records between both systems.
When would you use the import and export tools?
- If you’re an existing QBO user and new to Current RMS, import your customers from QBO to create corresponding linked organizations in Current.
- If you’re an existing Current RMS user and new to QBO, export your organizations from Current RMS to QBO to create corresponding linked customers in QBO.
- If you’ve used both Current RMS and QBO in parallel for a while but haven’t integrated the two: import from QBO to create to create organizations in Current and export from Current to create customers in QBO.
Automatically create and update linked customers
Don’t forget, Current RMS includes two settings to keep your organizations and QBO customers in sync:
- Create a linked QBO customer when creating an organization?
- Update the linked QBO customer when editing an organization?
If you have both of these settings enabled and only maintain your customers in Current RMS, you shouldn’t need to use the import or export tools after you’ve initially integrated your systems.
To learn more, see: Set up the QuickBooks Online integration
Go to System Setup > Integrations > QuickBooks Online to access the import and export tools.
To import customers from QBO to Current RMS as organizations, hit the blue Import customers button.
- A new organization is created in Current for each active QBO customer that’s not already linked to an organization in Current RMS.
- Organizations in Current that are already linked to QBO customers are updated with information in QBO.
Review the information on the pop-up box carefully and hit the blue Import customers button to start the process. You’ll be notified by email when the import is completed.
If you're using Current RMS with a US version of QBO, you'll see a drop-down box where you can select a default state used for the import.
In Current RMS, you can't add an organization without specifying a state for tax calculation purposes. However, in QBO this isn't a requirement so you might have customers with no state.
Where there's no state:
- The import tool first looks up the state from the ZIP code provided.
- If the ZIP code is invalid or blank, the default state you choose here is used.
If the default state is used, the import tool will let you know by email so you can review these organizations.
Existing linked customers
When organizations in Current RMS are already linked to QBO, keep in mind that data in Current RMS will be overwritten with data from QBO. Be sure that the information in QBO is up-to-date. This might be problematic if you have the “Update the linked QBO customer when editing an organization?” toggle set to NO in Current.
There’s no way to recover information in Current replaced by information from QBO.
In Current RMS, organization names don’t have to be unique. Make sure that you’ve linked existing organizations to QBO customers or duplicate organizations may be created.
To prevent accidental data loss, if you remove data from a field in QBO and import, the corresponding field will not be cleared in Current RMS.
To export organziations from Current RMS to QBO as customers, click the blue Export organizations button.
- A new customer is created in QBO for each unlinked organization in Current RMS.
- Customers in QBO that are already linked to organizations in Current are updated with information in Current.
Review the information on the pop-up box carefully and hit the blue Export organizations button to start the process. You’ll be notified by email when the import is completed.
Existing linked customers
When customers in QBO are already linked to organizations in Current RMS, keep in mind that data in QBO will be overwritten with data from Current RMS. Be sure that the information in Current RMS is up-to-date.
While you can create multiple organizations with the same name in Current RMS, customers in QBO must have unique names. Make sure that you’ve linked existing QBO customers to organizations in Current RMS or QBO will attempt to create duplicates which will result in errors.
To prevent accidental data loss, if you remove data from a field in Current RMS and import, the corresponding field will not be cleared in QBO.
A note on inactive organizations
When an organization is made inactive in Current RMS, exporting your organizations to QBO will attempt to deactivate the linked QBO customer. Subsequent exports from Current RMS will not update the QBO customer.
In order to deactivate a customer in QBO, the customer must have a zero balance.
Which fields are updated between the systems?
The name, telephone numbers, email address, address, and account number fields are updated. For a full list, check out our guide: Additional notes about the QuickBooks Online integration
I didn’t receive an email, what should I do?
The time for an import or export to complete depends on how much data you’re importing or exporting, our server load, and the server load of QBO. Generally, this shouldn’t take too long. If you haven’t received the message, check your junk email folder or “Clutter” folder on Outlook.
If you’ve not received the email after about an hour, contact the Customer Success team using the green help bubble ↘️