Your rental management solution and your accounts package are two of the most important parts of software for running your business. Use the import and export tools on our Xero integration screen to maintain customer records between both systems.
When would you use the import and export tools?
- If you’re an existing Xero user and new to Current RMS, import your contacts from Xero to create corresponding linked organizations in Current.
- If you’re an existing Current RMS user and new to Xero, export your organizations from Current RMS to Xero to create corresponding linked contacts in Xero.
- If you’ve used both Current RMS and Xero in parallel for a while but haven’t integrated the two: import from Xero to create to create organizations in Current and export from Current to create contacts in Xero.
Automatically create and update linked contacts
Don’t forget, Current RMS includes two settings to keep your organizations and Xero contacts in sync:
- Create a linked Xero Contact when creating an Organization?
- Update the linked Xero Contact when editing an Organization?
If you have both of these settings enabled and only maintain your customers in Current RMS, you shouldn’t need to use the import or export tools after you’ve initially integrated your systems.
To learn more, see: Set up the Xero integration
Go to System Setup > Integrations > Xero to access the import and export tools.
To import contacts from Xero to Current RMS as organizations, hit the blue Import contacts button.
- A new organization is created in Current for each active Xero contact that’s not already linked to an organization in Current RMS.
- Organizations in Current that are already linked to Xero contacts are updated with information in Xero.
Review the information on the pop-up box carefully and hit the blue Import contacts button to start the process. You’ll be notified by email when the import is completed.
Existing linked contacts
When organizations in Current RMS are already linked to Xero, keep in mind that data in Current RMS will be overwritten with data from Xero. Be sure that the information in Xero is up-to-date. This might be problematic if you have the “Update the linked Xero Contact when editing an organization?” toggle set to NO in Current.
⚠️ There’s no way to recover information in Current replaced by information from Xero.
In Current RMS, organization names don’t have to be unique. Make sure that you’ve linked existing organizations to Xero contacts or duplicate organizations may be created.
To prevent accidental data loss, if you remove data from a field in Xero and import, the corresponding field will not be cleared in Current RMS.
To export organziations from Current RMS to Xero as contacts, click the blue Export organizations button.
- A new contact is created in Xero for each unlinked organization in Current RMS.
- Contacts in Xero that are already linked to organizations in Current are updated with information in Current.
Review the information on the pop-up box carefully and hit the blue Export organizations button to start the process. You’ll be notified by email when the import is completed.
Existing linked contacts
When contacts in Xero are already linked to organizations in Current RMS, keep in mind that data in Xero will be overwritten with data from Current RMS. Be sure that the information in Current RMS is up-to-date.
While you can create multiple organizations with the same name in Current RMS, contacts in Xero must have unique names. Make sure that you’ve linked existing Xero contacts to organizations in Current RMS or Xero will attempt to create duplicates which will result in errors.
To prevent accidental data loss, if you remove data from a field in Current RMS and import, the corresponding field will not be cleared in Xero.
A note on inactive organizations
When an organization is made inactive in Current RMS, exporting your organizations to Xero will attempt to archive the linked Xero contact. Subsequent exports from Current RMS will not update the Xero contact.
If you make an organization active in Current RMS, the linked contact will not be unarchived. This is due to a limitation of the Xero API.
Which fields are updated between the systems?
The name, telephone numbers, email address, address, and account number fields are updated. For a full list, check out our guide: Additional notes about the Xero integration
I didn’t receive an email, what should I do?
The time for an import or export to complete depends on how much data you’re importing or exporting, our server load, and the server load of Xero. Generally, this shouldn’t take too long. If you haven’t received the message, check your junk email folder or “Clutter” folder on Outlook.
If you’ve not received the email after about an hour, contact the Customer Success team using the green help bubble ↘️