People & Organizations is your central location for all of your business contacts. Your initial view is everything – all active organziations, contacts, venues, and users.
It’s easy to filter the view to see just what you need:
- Use Filter Selection to access common filtering options.
- Drill down using the tag cloud.
- Create custom views for advanced filtering options, including exporting your view to a CSV.
In this guide, we’ll walk through each of these methods.
For quick access to common filtering options, use Filter Selection. To access, head to People & Organizations, click on View and choose Filter Selection.
By default, Current RMS hides anything in People & Organizations that you’ve set to not active to keep your Current RMS clutter-free. Choose to see inactive or all using the radio buttons at the top.
Tick boxes to filter the view
Show organizations where you’re set as the owner user.
Show anything that you’ve favorited.
- Pending activities
Show anything where there are activities outstanding.
- Live opportunities
Show anything with opportunities in progress.
- Bookable resource
Show contacts, users, and venues that are set up as bookable resources.
You can also tick boxes for organizations, contacts, venues, and users to see just those.
Keep in mind that these tick boxes are joined together using AND criteria. This means that Current RMS finds records that match ALL of the options you’ve selected. For example,
- If you tick “Organizations” and “Favorite,” Current will show organizations that are also favorites rather than anything that is a favorite and any organizations.
- If you tick “Organizations” and “Contact”, Current will show no results as nothing can be both an organization and a contact at the same time.
You’re probably familiar with tags from other cloud-based solutions – they’re a great way to search and sort your data.
To filter by tag, hit the tag cloud icon at the top-right of People & Organziations. Then simply click on tags!
Tags aren’t hierarchical like folders. This means that you can click on multiple tags to really drill down. Need to find a local lighting gear supplier? Set up tags for “Lighting” “Supplier” and “Local”, then use those three tags.
If you need more advanced filtering options, custom views are definitely the way to go. Custom views let you see and sort the data throughout your Current RMS system. They let you build your own tables with just the data you need.
To create a custom view, hover over View and click the green create button that appears.
- Give your view a Name.
- Choose what kind of data you’d like to see in the Module.
- Set attributes – these are the columns that you will see in the table.
- Choose Filters – these work in the same way the filters above work.
- For advanced filtering, add criteria. You can join criteria using AND or OR criteria, letting you build really powerful queries.
We’ve a guide that runs through custom views in detail, see: Custom views
Filtered the data, now what?
How should I split suppliers or vendors and customers?
We recommend tags here because of their flexibility. Tag vendors with “vendor” and customers with “customer”. Have an organziation that’s both? Tag with both! You can also apply tags for the kind of gear that they supply or rent from you to drill down further.